"The George has become a massive cornerstone in a thriving, creative community in East London. It has brought people together in a multitude of ways that serves the local community. It is a travesty to think that it will no longer be a hub for social activities and learning. Why should a few benefit when currently an entire community is about to lose its centre? No more flats! Let the George remain as an amazing community centre." - Rebecca Workman, Hackney resident

Monday 3 January 2011

Save The George

The George pub, 171 Glyn Rd, E5 0JT is the subject of a planning application to turn it into a block of nine private residential flats.

Although it closed as a pub several years ago, it has since been a vibrant site for privately run music nights and performances, community celebrations and even a wedding. It has also played host to local and international artists and musicians.

We're a community of neighbours and supporters who want to retain this Victorian pub as a resource for the community. We're calling on Hackney Council to refuse planning permission for a residential development.

Sign our petition
and read about it in the Hackney Citizen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Angie, I am Journalism student at London Metropolitan, and I also live in the Clapton area. As part of my degree course I have to do an article on closed buildings, and I was keen on doing it on the George as I am aware that since its closure, various music and arts events have taken place there, making it a hub for the local community. I would like to cover the proposed planning application and how this would affect the community. I would love to get comments and views from neighbours, particularly those tenants currently living in the pub. Plus if anyone has any information on the history of the pub and its past events since closing, or knows where I can get this, it would be much appreciated! I live on daubeney road, so could easily pop round to have a chat with anyone thats interested. Hopefully this exposure, in the form of my article, will help raise the profile of this cause. My e-mail is angela.yussuff@hotmail.co.uk. Sorry for the essay! lol. Look forward to hearing from you :)

    ReplyDelete